Crews will excavate and renew corroded and broken rail on 49th Street. The new components and paving should result in fewer vibrations and a smoother ride for trolleys and vehicular traffic.
Project Location and Hours
The work will take place on 49th Street between Baltimore Avenue and Chester Avenue from August 14 through October 28, 2023.
Staging of rail and other materials is likely to begin the week of August 7 within the work limits.
Normal construction hours are 7 am to 3:30 pm Mondays-Fridays. However, there may be weekdays where crews work past 3:30 pm. Occasional weekend work may also be needed to maintain the project’s timeline.
Impact on Customers
The Route 13 and 34 trolleys will operate as normal.
The Route 64 bus will be detoured to 48th Street for the duration of the project. Check for posted signs. Check www.septa.org for travel information or call Customer Service at 215-580-7800.
Impact on Area Traffic
Pedestrian access to businesses will be arranged to be open during construction.
Vehicular parking will not be permitted in the construction zone or adjacent to the tracks being reconstructed. Signs will be posted in advance. Exceptions/Arrangements may be made as required for those with special needs. Delivery vehicles will have limited access; drivers may have to park and carry parcels to a specific location.
Preliminary work ahead of the start date could result in some loss of parking.
Once work begins:
- 49th Street will be closed in one-to-two block sections starting at Baltimore Avenue. As a new section is closed, the completed section will be reopened as SEPTA in-house crews progress along 49th Street. No work will be performed within the intersections of 49th Street and Baltimore Avenue and 49th Street and Chester Avenue.
- Vehicular traffic will be restricted in the work areas.
- Emergency vehicles will have uninterrupted access. Trash collection and other city utilities will continue to have access during the closures.
- All side streets in the affected construction areas will be closed to thru traffic. Local traffic will be permitted up to the construction site.
- Posted traffic detours will be erected and maintained around the work area in progress.
Check www.septa.org for travel information or call Customer Service at 215-580-7800.
- The existing track structure of cobblestones will be removed and replaced with new rail encased in a rubber boot based on updated track construction guidelines.
- With these projects it is not uncommon to encounter water leaks from laterals connecting to the water main. These will be addressed accordingly as needed.