SEPTA is reminding SEPTA Key Senior Fare card holders that card expirations have resumed in 2023. Seniors with cards that have expired, or will expire in the near future, should plan now to renew their cards.
Appointments are strongly encouraged to obtain and renew SEPTA Senior Fare Cards. Appointments may be made by phone or online. Walk-ins are not guaranteed same-day service.
SEPTA Key Senior Fare cards with printed expiration dates of 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023 will expire on the last day of the month printed on the card. For example:
- A card with an 8/20, 8/21, 8/22, or 8/23 expiration date will expire on August 31, 2023
- A card with a 9/20, 9/21, 9/22, or 9/23 expiration date will expire on September 30, 2023
- A card with a 10/20, 10/21, 10/22, or 10/23 expiration date will expire on October 31, 2023
1. Legislative District Offices: Seniors can renew an existing SEPTA Key Senior Fare card or apply for a new card at participating State Senate and State House district offices. Legislative staff will process your renewal or new application – taking a picture, if necessary – and SEPTA will mail a new card directly to you in 3-4 weeks.
2. SEPTA Headquarters: For those who need to renew their card immediately, in person, same day card renewals are available at SEPTA Headquarters: 1234 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107. Appointments are required and can be scheduled between 8 am – noon (office is closed noon – 1 pm) and 1 pm – 5 pm weekdays:
- Phone: 215-580-7145 (Press #6)
- Online: https://go.oncehub.com/septacct
What to Bring to Renewal Appointments
- Seniors renewing their SEPTA Key Senior Fare card should bring their current SEPTA Key Senior Fare card and proof of age such as driver’s license, non-driver’s ID card, or birth certificate.
- Those applying for the first time must be at least 65 and bring proof of age such as driver’s license, non-driver’s ID card, or birth certificate.
About Expiring SEPTA Key Senior Fare Cards
Since March 2020, SEPTA had suspended SEPTA Key Senior Fare card expirations to ensure that senior customers could continue to travel at a time when COVID-19 related social distancing measures and staffing constraints limited our ability to process the volume of renewals needed. The expiration deadline was extended in 2021, and a final time last year (2022) to allow SEPTA time to work with state legislators to stand up a new renewal process at district offices.
With each extension, SEPTA strongly encouraged cardholders to take advantage of the additional time to renew their card and avoid expiration and any service interruption. We appreciate the many cardholders who have taken advantage of the additional time to renew their cards, but we anticipate that with cards now expiring at the end of each month, we may see an uptick in appointments and an increase in wait times.