The work consists of sandblasting, cleaning, and painting of the steel girders and steel support structures along the west end of the Market-Frankford Line (MFL) and portions of station platforms, including Frankford Transportation Center, Arrott Transportation Center, and Church Station. Additionally, SEPTA’s third-party contractor will be sandblasting, cleaning, and painting exposed surfaces of existing steel girders and steel support structures on the bridges carrying the MFL over Brown Street, Fairmount Avenue, Callowhill Street and Race Street. All areas will be painted SEPTA Blue.
Project Location and Hours
This segment runs from Frankford Transportation Center along Frankford Avenue to Womrath Street. This part of the project also includes the bridges noted above.
Crews will begin mobilizing on site beginning Monday, July 31, 2023, with blasting and painting operations beginning on Monday, Aug. 7, 2023. Anticipated completion for the project is on or before July 1, 2024. SEPTA’s contractor will be working Monday through Saturday, between 7 am and 8 pm. Some night work is anticipated. The contractor’s schedule is subject to change.
Impact on Customers
- As part of this project, no interruptions to MFL service are expected. Buses will be detoured as needed and signs posted.
Impact on Local Traffic
- Pedestrian traffic will be maintained on the sidewalks around structures being painted.
- Deliveries to businesses will be accommodated by the contractor.
- Painting will be performed in a containment area shielded by large shrouds/drop cloths.
- Work will involve equipment and machines that are very noisy – louder than trains.
- There will be parking restrictions, lane closures, lane shifts as well as street closures and detours in areas where crews are working. See below for specific details:
Expected Road Closures
- Partial Closure: Kensington – Adams Avenue to Frankford Avenue
- Partial Closure: Frankford Avenue – Kensington Avenue to Ruan Street
- Partial Closure: Frankford Avenue – Ruan Street to Unity Street
- Full Closure: Frankford Avenue – Unity Street to Sellers Street
- Full Closure: Frankford Avenue – Sellers Street to Orthodox Street
- Full Closure: Frankford Avenue – Orthodox Street to Paul Street
- Full Closure: Frankford Avenue – Paul Street to Harrison Street
- Full Closure: Frankford Avenue – Fillmore Street to Allengrove Street
- Full Closure: Frankford Avenue – Allengrove Street to Dyre Street
- Partial Closure: Frankford Avenue – Dyre Street to Pratt Street
- Full Closure: Bridge Street – Bustleton Avenue to North Penn Street
- Partial Closure: Brown Street – Hancock Street to North Front Street
- Partial Closure: Fairmount Avenue – 2nd Street to North Front Street
- Partial Closure: Callowhill Street – 2nd Street to North Front Street
- Partial Closure: I-95 Northbound Ramp – Race Street to Summer Street Ramp
- Partial Closure: Race Street – I-95 NB Ramp to Christopher Columbus Boulevard