PHILADELPHIA,PA – The 24th Annual Susan G. Komen Philadelphia Race for the Cure 5K Run/Walk returns on Sunday, May 11, 2014. SEPTA will provide extra early Sunday morning Regional Rail trains to accommodate traditionally large crowds heading to the event. In addition, nineteen SEPTA bus routes will experience significant detours around Center City road closures scheduled for the duration of the event.
Travelers may want to consider using rail transportation where available to avoid surface delays during the event. Underground service on the Market Frankford Line, Broad Street Line, Subway Surface Trollies, and Regional Rail Trains will be the best option to avoid potential surface travel delays.
Regional Rail Service
SEPTA will add additional service to Sunday morning trains to accommodate runners and others traveling to the event. These trips which supplement regularly scheduled Regional Rail service will arrive at Center City stations between 6 a.m. and 6:45 a.m.
A supplemental schedule is available at septa.org. The special schedule includes added and early morning service departing from the following stations:
- Airport Line: Extra trip departs from Eastwick Station at 5:47 a.m.
- Chestnut Hill East Line: Extra trip departs from Chestnut Hill East Station at 6:11 a.m.
- Glenside Combined Line: Extra trip departs from Glenside Station at 5:29 a.m.
- Media/Elwyn Line: Extra trip departs from Elwyn Station at 5:33 a.m.
- Lansdale/Doylestown Line: Extra trip departs from Lansdale Station at 5:12 a.m.
- Manayunk/Norristown Line: Extra trip departs from Elm Street Station at 5:48 a.m.
- Paoli/Thorndale Line: Extra trip departs from Malvern at 5:20 a.m.
- Wilmington/Newark Line: Extra trip departs from Marcus Hook Station at 5:48 a.m.
- West Trenton Line: Extra trip departs from West Trenton Station at 5:18 a.m.
- Warminster Line: Extra trip departs from Warminster Station at 5:41 a.m.
Routes 2, 4, 7, 9, 12, 17, 21, 23, 27, 31, 32, 33, 38, 42, 43, 44, 48, 124, and 125 will be detoured around several Center City street closures at the following locations from 7:00am until 12:00pm on Sunday:
- Kelly Drive – Fairmount Avenue to Eakins Oval.
- Benjamin Franklin Parkway – 16th Street through 23rd Street.
- 17th Street – from the Parkway to Walnut Street.
- 16th Street – from the Parkway to Walnut Street.
- 12th Street – from the Parkway to Chestnut Street
- Walnut Street – from 17th Street to 12th Street
- Chestnut Street – from 17th Street to 12th Street
In addition to the bus detours, riders should also plan for additional travel time and potential travel delays due to traffic congestion in Center City. Specific route detour information is now available at http://www.septa.org/events/race.html. Passengers can also access additional service information by contacting SEPTA Customer Service at 215-580-7800, or by downloading the free SEPTA App available in the Apple Store.