As part of work associated with SEPTA’s Elwyn to Wawa Service Restoration project, U.S. Route 1 in Middletown Township, Delaware County will be closed to vehicular traffic between Valley Road and Red Roof Drive from 8:00 p.m. Friday, February 8 through 5:00 a.m., Monday, February 11. During this road closure, crews will be removing a rail bridge that spans across U.S. Route 1.
SEPTA Bus Route 111 will also be detoured around the weekend road closure. There will be no Route 111 service between Valley and Stoney Bank Roads from 8:00 p.m. Friday, February 8 through 5:00 a.m. Monday, February 11.
Detour signs will be posted approaching the closure and along the detour route to direct traffic around the work area. Residents living in this vicinity may experience higher than normal traffic on local roads as drivers may choose to take alternate routes to navigate their way around the road closure. Local residents and motorists should be cautious when driving or walking in the area due to higher than normal traffic volume.
Important detour-related information is as follows:
U.S. Route 1 South
- Drivers traveling south on Route 1/W. Baltimore pike beyond Valley Road will be detoured onto PA 452 South/Pennell Road to U.S. 322 West/Conchester Highway and before being directed back onto U.S. Route 1/Baltimore Pike.
- U.S. Route 1/Baltimore Pike will be open to local traffic in both directions north of Valley Road.
- Access to all businesses and residences between PA 452/Pennell Road and Valley Road will remain open; however, traffic south of Valley Road will be blocked.
U.S. Route 1 North
- Drivers traveling north on U.S. Route 1/W. Baltimore Pike beyond Red Roof Drive will be detoured onto U.S. 322 East/Conchester Highway to PA 452 North/Pennell Road before being directed back onto U.S. Route 1/W. Baltimore Pike.
- U.S. Route 1/W. Baltimore Pike will be open to local traffic in both directions south of Red Roof Drive.
- Access to all businesses and residences between U.S. 322/Conchester Highway and Red Roof Drive will remain open; however, traffic north of Wawa Road will be blocked.
- Access between Red Roof Drive and Wawa Road will be limited to local traffic.
In addition to the weekend road closure, northbound and southbound U.S. Route 1 will be reduced from two lanes to one lane in each direction beginning Monday, February 11. The new traffic pattern will be in effect for approximately nine months in the rail bridge vicinity while crews work to rebuild the bridge abutments.
At a future date, an additional weekend U.S. Route 1 road closure may be required for installation of the new bridge over U.S. Route 1. Replacement of the U.S. Route 1 rail bridge is an important part of the Elwyn to Wawa Service Restoration Project. This project will allow SEPTA to provide Media/Elwyn Regional Rail Line service to the new Wawa Station. Information about SEPTA’s Elwyn to Wawa Service Restoration project can be found at: http://septa.org/rebuilding/station/elwyn-wawa.html
Passengers can check Route 111 bus service information by checking System Status on SEPTA’s website at www.septa.org. Riders can also contact SEPTA Customer Service representatives at (215) 580-7800 for more information and can stay connected by following the @SEPTA_BUS Twitter handle.